Thursday, February 17, 2011

NEW DELHI is Delicious!

Food. Kinda like Italy... where it's all about the food... the family... and the socialization around it. And good gosh, all I'm doing is eating so far!

Finally online for the first time since my arrival on Tuesday night. My camera is across town, so no pics to accompany this first account, which means you must VISUALIZE with me as I write.

Tonight we're eating at some fancy restaurant that is owned by a family member. It's kinda like the Frasca of New Delhi.

Food here is like being in Italy. They do it well... it's a huge family and social event and it's a focus... at least for those who can afford it. So meals at the place where I'm staying are 10a Breakfast; 2p Lunch; 9:30 Dinner.

Duality just outside the doorstep.

I walked passed a man eating out of a garbage bin this morning on my way to Kahn Market. He was so skinney. In 7 min, I can walk to Kahn Market. It is like Rodeo Drive in CA... where all the shi-shi shops are and if there were a Whole Foods... it'd be there. Instead they have all the boutique food shops. Although to see this place, you'd think it was some forgotten alleyway in Harlem or something. The only thing nice about it is the L'Occitane store because of it's signage. I can walk to the Taj Mahal Hotel in 15 min. Very cool. But I haven't done that yet. Perhaps tomorrow!


MOST INTERESTING NOTE:


Today I met my girlfriend, Lisa, for the first time. She's a former Boulderite, who moved to New Delhi to open and manage the Fitness and Spa center of the Leela Hotel I'm working out of her snazzy, marble floored apartment right now. And I got in with my own key made at Kahn Market.

So we go to get a key made (to Lisa's apt. for me) and were told we could get it done next to the flower shop. So we see the flower shop and electronics store, a bakery, and a deli, but no Key Shop... we look all around, find some electrical looking shop close by and ask if they make keys there and they say: "No, go to the Flower Shop."

So we're like.. "Oh great. Need a key made?? Go to the Flower store. Got it!"

So we go to the flower shop and Lisa says: "OK... shift your eyes.. here it is... Look down."

And there, sitting cross-legged, down on the sidewalk, (yes.. on the ground) just before the doorway is a man with a thousand keys at his side.
And Lisa says: "Do you make keys?" And he nods. And voila! we are at the KEY STORE.

And get this!! he 'hand cuts' the keys with a file. He clamped the master and the mold together and we saw him file the metal into form like a manicurist.

Took him forever... and Lisa was like: Geeez.. you think they're going to work? And I'm like: Duh... he's sitting in front of the most expensive flower shop in town and everyone sent us here, of course they're going to work. She's like: Oh yeah, it's the one's from Ace Hardware that you have to take back.

And sure enough, we came to her place and my keys were perfect.

So far all's well. Namaste~

No comments:

Post a Comment